P4/Strat.No.26: Introduction of a Comprehensive Labour Market Enhancement Program.
Guidelines and Criteria
To support initiatives that will create employment and provide job opportunities to displaced workers
Approximately 900 individuals are expected to be enrolled in TVET by December 2021
Training and certification of workers
Matching displaced workers to jobs available in sectors where jobs are being created such as Manufacturing, Construction and Agro-Processing.
National Program for Young School Leavers to ensure they are engaged productively to include national service,
volunteerism, youth entrepreneurship and other employment initiatives.
Young School Leavers
Guidelines will be based on the specific programs
Department of Education
Department of Equity
Office of the Prime Minister
Department of Finance
Department of Economic Development
Department of Youth and Sports
Displaced Workers and Young School Leavers
[April 21, 2021]
(1) Approximately 900 individuals are expected to be enrolled in TVET by December 2021
- Training and certification of workers
This Project will be financed through the EU and it will provide assistance in improving the framework for training and certification; support the private sector in the COVID recovery efforts through training of workers and apprenticeship; provide training to disadvantaged groups.
Progress to date:
- Training Needs Assessment Carried out by the Dept of Education in 2020.
- The preparation for the draw down of the funds from the EU has commenced.
(2) Matching displaced workers to jobs available in sectors where jobs are being created such as Manufacturing, Construction and Agro-Processing.
This intervention is being implemented through the introduction of a Mobile Application. The Mobile Application has been completed and is in the process of being populated. This was coordinated by the Department of Finance with support from the Department of Economic Development, Labour Department and UNDP. The App was created to support:
- Jobs Opportunities
- Business Support Resources
- Government Support Services
- Job Training
It is part of the Ten Hub Space created in collaboration with UNDP and a non profit firm in Barbados – similar platform in Barbados – called the Lucian Space.
(3) National Program for Young School Leavers to ensure they are engaged productively to include national service, volunteerism, youth entrepreneurship and other employment initiatives.
Significant amount of peparatory work has been undertaken for this initiative. The decision has been made to augment the existing Program from the Department of Youth & Sports – Youth Service Corps to support 100 young persons in the first instance – to be done in phases. Other components of this program to include: further support to Services Clubs such as Cadets, Guides, etc. These will be launched in March 2021. There was a delay to the start of implementation due to availability of financial resources and the social distancing protocols currently in place.
Youth Entrepreneurship & Training – This program is being worked out and more information will be provided soon.
MILESTONES: LABOUR MARKET ENHANCEMENT PROGRAM
Source: Department of Education and the Labour Department